Yield: Serve 36
For the Puffs
1 cup water
3 1/2 ounces of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup bread flour
3 large eggs, beaten
2 egg whites
For the Filling
1 box Sugar-free/fat-free French vanilla instant pudding mix
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 cup sugar free or fat free whipped topping
For the Drizzle
1.5 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsps filling mixture
10 reduced fat vanilla wafers, crushed
For the Puffs:
1. Preheat oven to 420 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or with a non-stick baking mat. NOTE: Do not grease
baking sheet, as the grease will cause the dough to flatten.
3. Cut butter into small pieces.
4. In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the water and butter; bring mixture to a full
rolling boil (make sure the butter has all melted).
5. Remove pan from the heat and add flour and salt all at once, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon
until blended. NOTE: The flour absorbs the liquid rapidly, and must be mixed thoroughly until there are
no lumps left.
6. Reduce heat to medium; return pan to heat and continue stirring until the mixture leaves the sides of
the pan and forms a ball.
7. Remove from heat and transfer the dough to the bowl of a mixer. With the paddle attachment, mix at
low speed until the dough has cooled slightly. It should be about 140 degrees F. (use your digital
thermometer to test the dough).
8. In a small bowl, add eggs and egg whites; Whisk until mixed together. At medium speed, beat the
eggs/egg whites in a little at a time. Add no more than a quarter of the eggs at once; wait until eggs
are completely absorbed before adding more (at first the eggs will act like they don’t want to mix in,
but they will). When all the eggs are absorbed, the dough is ready to use. The dough should be soft
and a little sticky, but be able to hold its shape.
9. Place dough into a gallon sized plastic zip-top bag. Cut the end off one corner with scissors, to make
an opening about 1/4 inch. Squeeze the mixture onto the pans into silver-dollar sized circles.
10. Dip your index finger in water, and pat down the pointed tip raised on each puff.
11. Place in oven for one minute then lower the heat to 375 degrees F.
12. Continue baking until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Be sure to rotate the pans half way
through (switch pans so the top one is on the bottom rack and vice versa).
13. Remove from the oven and immediately prick the lower side of each puff with the tip of a sharp knife.
14. Return puffs to the oven and turn it off. Leave the door open slightly and allow the puffs to dry out for
10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let puffs cool completely on the baking sheet on a wire rack
For the Filling:
1. While puffs are baking, mix the pudding mix and almond milk together until well blended.
2. Add bananas and mix until well incorporated.12/31/12 Banana Pudding Cream Puffs
3. Gently fold in whipped topping.
4. Cover and refrigerate until ready to fill.
5. When ready to fill, put mixture in a plastic bag with a piping tip, and gently squeeze the filling into the
whole you created with your knife.
6. DO NOT OVERFILL OR THE PUFFS WILL BREAK OPEN
For the Topping:
1. Whisk coconut oil and filling mixture together with a fork.
2. Drizzle over puffs and immediately top with crushed vanilla wafers.
3. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
More in Snack