Red Velvet cake mix
~50 mini candy canes
1 package candy cane Hershey Kisses
3 small boxes of cheesecake Jello pudding
1 tsp vanilla extract
16 oz Cool Whip
4 cups of milk
4 oz cream cheese (not shown)
1. Mix the Red Velvet cake mix according to the box directions.
2. Line a 9×13″ cake pan with aluminum foil and spray generously with cooking spray.
3. Pour in the cake mix and spread evenly throughout the pan.
4. Unwrap at least half of the candy cane Hershey Kisses and drop them on top of the cake mix.
5. Bake the cake according to the box directions.
Allow to cool completely.
When you cut into the cake, your Hershey Kisses will have dropped to the bottom.
6. Add the 3 boxes of cheesecake Jello to 4 cups of cold milk in a large bowl. Whisk for two minutes then set aside for pudding to thicken (a couple of minutes). Beat in cream cheese and vanilla extract until there are no lumps. Gently fold in 2/3 of the Cool Whip mixing completely.
7. Unwrap the mini candy canes and chop them up in a food processor or blender. You want a semi-fine texture. No big chunks! We don’t want any cracked teeth when people bite into the trifle!
8. Now its time to put together the trifle!
9. Cut up (or crumble – I like to just break it up with my hands!) 1/3 of the cake into the bottom of a trifle bowl (or regular bowl – use what you have!).
10. Top the cake with approximately 1/3-1/2 of the pudding mixture.
11. On top of the pudding, sprinkle 1/3-1/2 of the chopped candy canes.
12. Repeat the process again!
13. Decorate the top of your trifle as you like with any
leftover candy canes and/or candy cane Hershey kisses.
Note: You may want to wait to decorate immediately prior to presenting your trifle to your family because the candy canes and Kisses may bleed a bit.
More in American