Yield: 8 Servings
2 lbs top round steak or lean stew beef, in 1 inch pieces
2 celery ribs, sliced
4 carrots in ½ inch slices
2 onions, sliced
¼ cup water
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¾ cup beef broth or dry red wine
8 sliced mushrooms
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
For the Herb Dumplings:
½ cup milk
1 ½ cups Bisquick
¼ teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1. Combine the beef, celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes, thyme, pepper, mustard, mushrooms, and wine or beef broth.
2. If you are using wine, use all the salt.
3. If you are using beef broth you might not need it depending on the saltiness of the broth so taste it to see.
4. Cover and cook on a low heat for 8 to 10 hours or a high heat for 4 or 5 hours.
5. The vegetables and beef will become tender.
6. Combine the flour and water and stir this slowly into the beef stew.
7. Combine the Bisquick, thyme, sage and rosemary and stir in the milk until the mixture is just moistened.
8. Drop spoonfuls of the dough on to the hot beef stew, then cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the herb dumplings comes out clean.
More in Entree