Makes and covered 12 cupcakes.
Hot chocolate cupcakes
Betty Crocker Hot Chocolate Cupcake mix
1/4 vegetable Oil
Peppermint Marshmallow Frosting
13oz tub Jet-Puffed marshmallow fluff
1 cup shortening
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
4 tsp. hot water
1/2 tsp. salt
A few drops peppermint candy oil flavoring
red gel coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the hot chocolate mix, marshmallow bits, oil, water, and eggs.
2. Fill 12 cupcake liners with 3TBS of batter each.
3. Bake for 16-18 minutes.
Now time to whip up that Twinkie filling 😉
4. While the cupcakes are cooling in a small bowl mix together the salt and hot water until dissolved then let set so it may cool down.
5. Mix together marshmallow fluff, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Then you may add in your cooled salt water.
6. Drop in a few small drops of peppermint candy oil flavoring. Be very careful this stuff is strong! I used about 3 very small drops. You’ll have to do a taste test here to get it to however pepperminty to want it. Bummer right? 😉
Now here’s how to get that red swirled look…it’s really much easier then you would think.
7. This is easiest in clear plastic pipping bags, so you can see the effect. Place a large round pipping tip in your pipping bag then fold it over your hand like your going to fill it. Use a toothpick and “paint” stripes up red inside of the bag. I did about five stripes like so…
8. Now just fill it with your marshmallow icing!
9. It should look kind of like this…squeeze out the first bit in a bowl until the red begins to come out. Then your set to pipe.
10. I finished my cupcakes with a few small pieces of peppermint sticks, and a few red sprinkles
Gosh, don’t these just make you so happy? Fun little cupcakes with a swirl of fluffy icing and a peppermint stick to top it off. So wintery and fun…
…now I’m off to do really fun things like get the oil changed, and finish laundry that needs to be packed. 😉 Happy baking!
More in Snack