Yield: 4 Servings
1 cup quick-cooking couscous
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3 cup sliced shallots
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground saffron or ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 ounces baby pattypan squash or 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup slender baby carrots, tops trimmed
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup golden or dark raisins
Fresh mint (optional)
1. Cook couscous according to package directions, omitting oil and salt; keep warm.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, shallots and garlic to pan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring.
3. In a bowl, combine salt and all spices; sprinkle evenly over chicken. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked.
4. Cut any large pieces of squash in half; add to skillet along with carrots, broth, and raisins. Bring to a boil; cover. Simmer 6 to 8 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
5. Serve stew over couscous. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
More in Popular Recipes