11/2 lb. wild gulf shrimp, 36 – 42 count per lb. peeled and deviened, tails off
2/3 cup olive oil
4 flour tortillas
1/2 cup onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 cup grated queso fresco, or jack cheese if not available
1 T chipotle chilies in adobo, finely chopped
1/2 t cumin powder
1/2 t chili powder
1 T honey
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 lime cut into 4 wedges
1 tomato sliced
1 avocado sliced
1. Combine olive oil, onions, garlic, chipotles, chili and cumin powder and honey.
2. Add shrimp and marinate for 15 to 30 min.
3. Heat a large heavy pan or iron skillet over med. high heat and when pan is hot add shrimp with the marinade.
4. Stir-fry constantly for about 3-5 min. or until shrimp is just opaque in center of thickest part.
5. Spoon shrimp with some of the sauce from the marinade over a tortilla then scatter cheese over the top and place another tortilla on top.
6. Heat another large pan (or 2 pans if 4 tortillas won’t fit in 1) over med.
7. Coat pan with a small amount of olive oil and when hot add quesadillas.
8. When nicely browned on bottom, flip and when cheese is melted and bottom is browned, remove to cutting board and slice into 4 triangles.
9. Serve with sliced tomatoes, thin sliced jalapeño and sliced avocado.
10. Top with chopped cilantro.
More in Mexican