See More Bread Recipes
For the bread
1-1/2 cups + 1 tbsp all purpose flour, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
For the lemon syrup
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
For the lemon glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
3-4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9×5″ loaf pan, dust with flour, and tap out excess.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and oil.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. In a separate bowl mix the blueberries with the 1 tbsp of flour and then gently fold them into the mixed batter.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake 50-55 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
6. Let bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. While the loaf is cooling, combine the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously until sugar is dissolved, and then continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
8. Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops and sides of the warm loaf and brush with the lemon syrup. Continue to brush the loaf until all of the syrup is added.
9. To make the lemon glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and pour over the top of the loaf. Let the lemon glaze harden before serving.