Speaking of chicken breast recipes, a lot of people salivate over this amazing Chinese dish: orange chicken. And because most of the time the Chinese use stir fry to make orange chicken, many people are concerned about orange chicken calories. However, if you are not using too much oil for cooking, it’ll still can be a very delicious and healthy dish. Chicken stir fry has been one of the most well-known traditional dishes in Chinese. One of the popular variations of orange chicken is honey chicken stir fry. You can make this easy orange chicken stir fry at home by using either orange or honey.
Yield: 4-6 Servings
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 large cloves garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
optional sweetener like sugar, honey, agave, etc.
1 pound chicken tender cut into cubes
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons corn starch
4 cups chopped vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, celery, mushroom, snap peas, etc.
1/2 cup medium yellow onion, chopped
1. Blend all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender or food processor for 10 seconds.
2. Taste the sauce and add your choice of sweetener to your liking.
3. Blend again for a few more seconds.
4. Heat the sauce in a large skillet on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Carefully transfer the sauce to a heat proof bowl.
5. Rinse the skillet clean.
6. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
7. Add the corn starch and massage the chicken with your hands.
8. If using fresh broccoli or green beans, boil the broccoli for 3-5 minutes until soft enough to pierce with a fork yet firm.
9. Transfer the vegetables to a plate lined with a paper towel.
10. Wipe down the skillet until dry.
11. Heat approximately 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet on medium-high heat.
12. Cook the onion and chicken until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 3-4 minutes.
13. Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry them together for 2 minutes.
14. Slowly add a few tablespoons of sauce while stirring the vegetables and chicken.
15. Continue to add the sauce a few tablespoons at a time, allowing about 15 seconds between each addition to allow sauce to slightly cook down.
16. Spoon the stir-fry over a bowl of hot rice. Serve immediately.
Orange Chicken Calories
Serving Size: 1 serving
Total Fat 27.0 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 0.0 mg
Potassium 0.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
Sugars 0.0 g
Protein 23.0 g